Saturday, August 29, 2009

Tiger Tracks 5K at the MN Zoo

I ran in a 5K this morning at the zoo. It was a chilly morning and I had to get up super early to be able to eat breakfast before heading out to the zoo. I've also been recovering from being sick. So I wasn't expecting a great experience!

The race felt tough, probably because my throat and chest were still all congested and grody. Also because there were several areas of incline throughout the trail. Half of the trail snaked through the zoo, which was awesome. When we ran by the Grizzly Bear exhibit, a huge bear was standing up against the glass (on his hind legs) watching us run by. Someone joked that he must have thought we were 'fast food'. And then when we ran through the new Africa exhibit, the Zebras and Antelope took off running along side us. It was AWESOME!

I did pretty well, even though I had to slow to a walk for about a minute once I hit the 2 mile marker. My lungs felt like they were going to burst and my mouth was super dry. But then I picked it back up, and finished #298 out of #566 with a time of 32:07. When we went to grab some water & snacks my lungs were burning. It took a while for me to feel normal again. But overall it was a wonderful experience. Ian decided he is going to run the kids 1/2 mile next year. :)

Here are a few pictures:









No comments: