Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Heath Ledger Dead

So by now the world knows about Heath Ledger's untimely death. Ordinarily celebrities' deaths don't effect me much because I don't really know them, and usually because it has something to do with stupidity and drug overdoses. But with Heath, the circumstances surrounding his death are just incredibly sad. The autopsy this morning was inconclusive and it will be another 2 weeks for the toxicology report to come back.

They are reporting that:
  • He had pneumonia
  • He had just travelled in 3 different countries in the previous few days
  • He was terribly disturbed after delving deep into the role of the maniacal Joker in the new Batman movie
  • There was a bottle of prescription sleeping pills near his bed

He had done an interview recently where he said the role of the Joker had made him anxious and he wasn't getting more than 2 hours of sleep a night. He would take an Ambien and it wouldn't work so he'd take another one and it would knock him out for an hour. Then he would wake up having an anxiety attack.

I think I am so upset by his death because it was so accidental. He has a 2 year old daughter who will only ever know her Daddy through his movies. Other actors have nothing but the nicest things to say about him. He just seemed like an all around decent guy. And now he's gone in the blink of an eye.

As morbid as it sounds, I watched (live) on tmz.com last night as they wheeled his body out of his apartment. And I replayed it in my head last night when I was trying to sleep. It's just not fair. I hope his family can find some sort of peace with all of this.

No comments: